Community Service Center
2100 6th Ave
Altoona, PA 16602
Mountain Lion BackPack Program (MLBP)
The MLBP Program addresses the weekend hunger needs of elementary school children in the Altoona Area School District (AASD) by:
- Providing meals for the weekend delivered in backpacks to the schools every Friday for thirty-two (32) weeks of the school year.
- The food is placed in the backpacks, so the students can take the food home safely and discreetly, knowing they will have food for the weekend, and return the backpacks to their teachers on Monday to be refilled the following week.
- It costs about $3.00 per backpack per week, or about $100 for one (1) student to be fed for the school year.
- Students receive two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners, two snacks, and two beverages each week.
- The food is single-serving and kid-friendly; the students can often prepare the food themselves.
MLBP runs completely off donations and grants. If you would like to donate to the program, we would greatly appreciate any contribution you can make to make our program a success. You can donate through Paypal at the donation below: